Koppers Releases 2022 Corporate Sustainability Report
Meaningful Improvements Made Across People, Planet and Performance
PITTSBURGH, June 27, 2023 - Koppers Holdings Inc. (NYSE: KOP) today published its 2022 Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR). The CSR provides a detailed overview of the company’s efforts to further its Sustainability strategy in the areas of People, Planet, and Performance.
Throughout 2022, Koppers achieved important advances toward creating sustainable value for the company and its stakeholders. Some key highlights include:
- Enhanced the company’s long-term Sustainability Plan and formalized a Sustainability governance structure.
- Improved safety performance with 19 out of 34 facilities working accident-free (an increase from 16 in 2021).
- Expanded investment in career growth and continuing education opportunities for employees through Koppers College.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 49% since the baseline year of 2007, moving closer to the company's goal of a 50% reduction by 2030.
- Achieved record-setting financial results including record sales and record adjusted EBITDA.
- Issued a number of patents, including on a process to produce a coal tar pitch with low impurity content that has the potential to serve the emerging electric vehicle (EV) and lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery markets globally.
- Received its own US EPA registration for DCOI wood preservative, which replaces a non-Koppers product that regulators have phased out of use.
- Earned recognition for the third consecutive year from Newsweek magazine as one of "America's Most Responsible Companies."
- Received recognition from USA TODAY on its first ever list of “America's Climate Leaders”, which consists of companies across the United States that achieved the greatest reduction in their core emissions intensity between 2019 and 2021, specifically Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions in relation to revenue.
"With each year, our culture of Sustainability becomes more fully rooted in all aspects of our business," said Leslie Hyde, Koppers Chief Sustainability Officer. "This growing sense of ownership by our leaders and teams, supported by regular communication on progress and new ideas, all combine to keep our Sustainability-driven culture on a positive path forward, as demonstrated by our results in 2022."
President and Chief Executive Officer Leroy Ball added, “Our company values of People, Planet, and Performance provide the foundation and roadmap forward for our employees around the world. Recognizing the importance of each, dedicating the proper level of resources, and keeping them in balance provides both an ongoing challenge and our best path to continued success.”
To read the 2022 CSR and learn more about Sustainability at Koppers, click here
Koppers, with corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is an integrated global provider of treated wood products, wood treatment chemicals, and carbon compounds. Our products and services are used in a variety of niche applications in a diverse range of end markets, including the railroad, specialty chemical, utility, residential lumber, agriculture, aluminum, steel, rubber, and construction industries. We serve our customers through a comprehensive global manufacturing and distribution network, with facilities located in North America, South America, Australia, and Europe. The stock of Koppers Holdings Inc. is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "KOP."
For more information, visit: www.koppers.com. Inquiries from the media should be directed to Ms. Jessica Franklin Black at BlackJF@koppers.com or 412-227-2025. Inquiries from the investment community should be directed to Ms. Quynh McGuire at McGuireQT@koppers.com or 412-227-2049.
Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements in this press release are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and may include, but are not limited to, statements about sales levels, acquisitions, restructuring, declines in the value of Koppers assets and the effect of any resulting impairment charges, profitability and anticipated expenses and cash outflows. All forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties.
All statements contained herein that are not clearly historical in nature are forward-looking, and words such as “outlook,” “guidance,” “forecast,” “believe,” “anticipate,” “expect,” “estimate,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “continue,” “plan,” “potential,” “intend,” “likely,” or other similar words or phrases are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Any forward-looking statement contained herein, in other press releases, written statements or other documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or in Koppers communications and discussions with investors and analysts in the normal course of business through meetings, phone calls and conference calls, regarding future dividends, expectations with respect to sales, earnings, cash flows, operating efficiencies, restructurings, the benefits of acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures or other matters as well as financings and debt reduction, are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties and contingencies.
Many of these risks, uncertainties and contingencies are beyond our control, and may cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from anticipated results, performance or achievements. Factors that might affect such forward-looking statements include, among other things, the impact of changes in commodity prices, such as oil and copper, on product margins; general economic and business conditions; disruption in the U.S. and global financial markets; potential difficulties in protecting our intellectual property; the ratings on our debt and our ability to repay or refinance our outstanding indebtedness as it matures; our ability to operate within the limitations of our debt covenants; potential impairment of our goodwill and/or long-lived assets; demand for Koppers goods and services; competitive conditions; interest rate and foreign currency rate fluctuations; availability and costs of key raw materials; unfavorable resolution of claims against us, as well as those discussed more fully elsewhere in this release and in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission by Koppers, particularly our latest annual report on Form 10-K and any subsequent filings by Koppers with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Any forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of the date of this release, and we undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances after that date or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.